September 22, 2011
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Director of Administrative Services
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) based at the University of Maryland College Park is currently seeking to hire a full-time Director of Administrative Services. START supports research that applies the theories and methods of social science to the study of the human causes and consequences of terrorism and transitions its findings to the community.
START seeks a highly motivated individual to handle day-to-day financial activities and operations and the long-term financial planning of the center. This involved extensive sponsored research administration, in particular pre-award proposal preparation, post-award management and sub-award recipient monitoring. The DAS is the financial point-of-contact for all START external customers, including investigators, sub-award institutions, and sponsor agencies.
The DAS consults with the director and the external director on the strategic use of funds, including analyzing START discretionary accounts and preparing high-level reports and making recommendations about resource allocation to maintain sustainability and reach long-term goals.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Sponsored research administration (including working with sponsoring agencies to resolve issues regarding execution of award, to answer financial inquiries, and to ensure compliance; handling award requests for modifications, such as budget revisions; creating high-level financial reports with projections by award and by research initiative; monitoring sub-award spending; working with ORAA and OCGA; preparing budgets and budget justifications for new initiatives)
- General financial management (including overseeing payroll, reviewing bi-weekly staff entries in PHR, reviewing bi-weekly payroll effort allocation; make recommendations on use of discretionary funds; update director and executive director on college and university policies; enforcing procurement and travel restrictions).
- Other START activities as needed (including assisting with special events)
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 years experience in accounting, sponsored research administration, or combination
- Experience working in university setting and with budgetary management
- CPA certification
This is a regular exempt position that is benefits eligible. Salary is commensurate with experience and is mid-50s to low-60s, commensurate with education and experience. For more details of this position and to submit applications, please go to https://jobs.umd.edu . For best consideration, applications should be received by October 3, 2011.
Please note that the University of Maryland, College Park, and START actively subscribe to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.