START is working to produce individuals who will be dedicated to research, teaching, and analysis on issues related to the formation and behavior of terrorists and terrorist groups as well as the impacts that the threat of terrorism and terrorist acts hold for individuals, groups, and societies. START trains these individuals in terrorism-related theories and research methods and provides them with the skills necessary to complete academically rigorous, policy-relevant research through a series of curricular programs strongly linked to START research findings. Our aim is to bring brand-new, cutting-edge research from the social and behavioral sciences into classrooms years before many START research findings will be released via traditional academic publishing venues.
START supports the following academic programs:
- Terrorism Studies Minor Program: This program provides University of Maryland undergraduates the opportunity to declare a minor field of expertise in Terrorism Studies. Students participate in a 5-course sequence designed to expose students to the wide array of social-science-based literature on topics related to terrorism and to begin preparing them for either graduate study related to terrorism or professional advancement in fields related to homeland security.
- Homeland Security Federal Semester: This program provides University of Maryland undergraduates the opportunity to study the federal policy-making process as it relates to homeland security topics.
- Terrorism and International Security Odyssey Workshop: This program provides a one-day event for 7th through 10th graders interested in learning about trends and patterns of terrorist activity.
- START Study Abroad Program: START offers a three-week study abroad program for undergraduate and graduate students from any institution. START leads a program each January to visit a foreign-based center affiliated with START.
- Terrorism Analysis Graduate Certificate Program: This fully online four-course program aims to provide interested participants with advanced education on the causes, impacts, and dynamics of both domestic and international terrorism.
- Teaching Opportunities: START frequently has opportunities for individuals to teach in-person and online courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.