Global Terrorism Minor Program
*Attention, START has moved offices – please see below for updated application drop-off location*
Eligibility and Application Process
The minor program is limited to 30 students per cohort. Students eligible to apply for selection must meet all of the following requirements (by the time of application):
- 30 university credits completed, with at least 15 credits awarded by the University of Maryland;
- Strong academic record (minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred); and
- At least three full semesters remaining at the University of Maryland prior to graduation.
In selecting students to participate in the program, START emphasizes academic achievement, extracurricular achievement, levels of demonstrated interest in terrorism and/or homeland security (through coursework and/or activities), and diversity of academic disciplines.
Application Process and Deadline
Interested students must submit a completed application package in hard copy to START headquarters at 8400 Baltimore Ave, Suite 250. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on February 22, 2013.
Each application must contain:
- Three copies of the completed application;
- Three copies of the applicant's one-page resume;
- Three copies of the applicant's unofficial transcript; and
- One copy of a completed faculty recommendation form in a sealed envelope. Recommendations should come from University of Maryland faculty members when possible, but the committee will also accept letters from advanced graduate students at the University of Maryland who have taught the applicant, as well as from faculty members at other universities who have taught the applicant. Recommendations should not come from graduate students at other universities, from employers, or from family friends.
Please note: Late and/or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
A committee comprised of faculty and staff affiliated with START will review applications and select no more than 35 students for the program's 2013-2015 cohort.
Applicants will be notified of the selection committee's decision by March 15, 2013.