Eligibility and Application Process
The minor program is limited to 40 students per academic year. Students eligible to apply for selection must meet all of the following requirements (by the time of application):
- 30 university credits completed, with at least 15 credits awarded by the University of Maryland;
- Strong academic record (minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred); and
- At least three full semesters remaining at the University of Maryland after gaining admission prior to graduation.
In selecting students to participate in the program, START emphasizes academic achievement, extracurricular achievement, levels of demonstrated interest in terrorism and/or homeland security (through coursework and/or activities), and diversity of academic disciplines.
Application Process and Deadline
Interested students must submit a completed application package online. The Spring 2017 application cycle is now open. Follow this link to apply. The deadline for all completed applications is Friday, February 24th by 5 pm.
- One completed application;
- One of the applicant's one-page resume;
- One copy of the applicant's unofficial transcript; and
- One completed faculty recommendation form (contact email address of the recommender to be provided by the student). Recommendations should come from University of Maryland faculty members when possible, but the committee will also accept letters from advanced graduate students at the University of Maryland who have taught the applicant, as well as from faculty members at other universities who have taught the applicant. Recommendations should not come from graduate students at other universities, from employers, or from family friends.
Please note: Late and/or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
A committee comprised of faculty and staff affiliated with START will review applications and select no more than 40 students for the program's Spring 2017 cohort.
Applicants will be notified of the selection committee's decision in Spring 2017.