Erin Copland is currently the Outreach and Transition Specialist and Acting Communications Manager at START, supporting the Media and Communications team in publicizing START's research, brand and mission. In doing so, Copland contributes content to START's social media and monthly newsletter, and runs START's virtual events series. Prior to her work on the communications team, she was a research assistant on START projects focusing on countering violent extremism and understanding domestic radicalization. She also served in the U.S. Army Reserves for six years as a licensed practical nurse, before receiving a B.A. in Criminal Justice and an M.A. in Forensic and Legal Psychology. You can find her on Twitter @copland_erin.
Summer/Winter Courses – START offers fully online summer and winter courses each year, which are open to any current degree seeking student or non-degree seeking individual.
Global Terrorism Studies Minor – This University of Maryland undergraduate program is designed to train the next generation of terrorism analysts, including students who plan to pursue graduate study related to terrorism as well as employment in the federal, state, local, non-profit, and/or private sectors.
Graduate Certificate in Terrorism Analysis – This online graduate program provides participants with advanced education on the causes, dynamics and impacts of international and domestic terrorism.
Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Security and Terrorism Studies – This online graduate program prepares students to examine the complex social, political, economic, and psychological underpinnings of terrorist and other asymmetric security threats.
- SUNY Fredonia, B.A., Criminal Justice, 2012
- Marymount University, M.A., Forensic and Legal Psychology, 2015
- University of Maryland, START, Acting Communications Manager, January 2021 - Present
- University of Maryland, START, Outreach and Transition Specialist, April 2019 - Present
- University of Maryland, START, Faculty Assistant, Media & Communications, January 2016 - March 2019
- University of Maryland, START, Research Assistant, A Toolkit for Preventing Targeted Violence on College Campuses, October 2017 - July 2018
- University of Maryland, START, Research Assistant, Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States (PIRUS), May 2015 - September 2017
- U.S. Army Reserves, Licensed Practical Nurse, September 2005 - September 2011
- “An art and a science: Artists use data from the Global Terrorism Database (GTD) in works of data visualization art.” START, April 2019.
- “Vera Mironova seeks out conflict for research opportunities.” START, August 2019.
- “Global Terrorism Database (GTD) contributes to graphic novels about genocide.” START, January 2020.
- “Research project invites scientists and science fiction writers to explore the future in WMD threats.” START, March 2020.
- "START intern serves her country by fighting disease and discrimination." START, March 2021.
- "Fulbright scholar comes to START to study deradicalization." START, October 2021.