Use of the GTD Training Modules signifies agreement to the following terms and conditions.
- Definitions: Within this section:
- "GTD Training Modules" will refer to the Global Terrorism Database Training Modules produced by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism. This includes the training videos, transcripts, data, and any auxiliary materials present.
- "START" will refer to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, a United States Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence based at the University of Maryland.
- "USER" denotes the individual or set of individuals who access the GTD Training Modules (i.e. the videos, transcripts, data, and any auxiliary materials.)
- "GTD representatives" denotes any senior management staff of START, and any employee or representative of said organization whom senior management staff designate to represent START in dealings with the USER.
- Usage Rights: Pursuant to this agreement, START grants the USER the non-exclusive, non-guaranteed right view the GTD Training Module videos and access transcripts, data, and auxiliary materials.
- Authorship: All contents of the GTD Training Modules were assembled by representatives of START and do not purport to reflect the official position or data collections of the Department of Homeland Security or any other agency of the United States government.
- Acknowledgement: All information sourced from the GTD Training Modules should be acknowledged by the USER and cited as follows (Module One example):
National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START). (2016). Global Terrorism Database Training Module One: Introduction to the Global Terrorism Database & Using the GTD [Video File]. Retrieved via http://www.start.umd.edu/training
- Unauthorized Publication of the Training Modules: No part of the GTD Training Modules may be republished on any website or accessible for public download in any format without the express permission of a GTD representative. In addition, no part of the GTD Training Modules may be distributed for any commercial purpose, nor with the intent that the data be used in any commercial enterprise, without the express permission of a GTD representative. START reserves the right to withhold this permission.
- Penalties: Penalties for failure to comply with the terms of this agreement may result in loss of access to the GTD Training Modules and the forfeiture of user privileges, in addition to any other appropriate legal remedies.
- Limitation of Liability: Although every reasonable effort has been made to check sources and verify facts, START cannot guarantee that accounts reported in the open literature are complete and accurate. START shall not be held liable for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions or resulting from any use, misuse, or alteration of GTD Training Modules by the USER.
- Multimedia Copyright: Images and other multimedia files contained in the GTD Training Modules are held under copyright to various parties. No multimedia files from the GTD Training Modules may be removed, reproduced, or disseminated without express written permission from the copyright holder.
- Termination of Rights: The GTD Training Module developers reserve the right to remove access from any particular IP address or set of IP addresses, or to remove the database entirely from public access, at their discretion. In such an event, all USER rights granted in this document are terminated.