START is dedicated to training and mentoring a new generation of scholars and analysts capable of examining questions related to terrorism, counterterrorism and community resilience.
START emphasizes a variety of approaches to education from traditional undergraduate courses at the University of Maryland campus, to fully online synchronous graduate courses, to courses abroad. Educational opportunities exist for all types of learners at the undergraduate and graduate level as well as for the non-degree seeking student or professional. In addition, START seeks to advance homeland security and terrorism-related education at all colleges and universities through teaching tools and funding for course development. START also offers practitioner-focused trainings, which are designed to advance the empirical basis for understanding terrorism, counterterrorism, and community resilience and to support real-world application of research findings.
Click on a category below to view opportunities.
- Undergraduate Students
- Internships – START offers internships year round on a variety of research projects and teams, during which participants are exposed to the most up-to-date theories, methods and information related to the study of terrorism.
- Global Terrorism Studies Minor – This University of Maryland undergraduate program is designed to train the next generation of terrorism analysts, including students who plan to pursue graduate study related to terrorism as well as employment in the federal, state, local, non-profit, and/or private sectors.
- Summer/Winter Courses – START offers fully online summer and winter courses each year, which are open to any current degree seeking student or non-degree seeking individual.
- Graduate Students
- Graduate Certificate in Terrorism Analysis – This online graduate program provides participants with advanced education on the causes, dynamics and impacts of international and domestic terrorism.
- Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Security and Terrorism Studies – This online graduate program prepares students to examine the complex social, political, economic, and psychological underpinnings of terrorist and other asymmetric security threats.
- Professional Development
- The Order of the Sword and Shield National Honors Society
Questions about START's education program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about START's training program should be directed to email@example.com.
Past Programs: START constantly works to develop and revise its educational programs in order to provide the most effective support to students interested in Terrorism Studies. As a result of evolving strategic priorities and changing funding sources, START continually reevaluates its educational programming and occasionally chooses to retire programs. Retired program summaries can be found at this link.