START is now hiring a junior or senior undergraduate for a paid IT Undergraduate Student Assistant (ITSA) for the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014. START, The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism is a U.S. Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence based at the University of Maryland. Approximately 40 full-time and part-time employees currently work at START’s offices at the University of Maryland. In addition START maintains around 65 computers for interns and visiting scholars. For more information, visit our website at start.umd.edu
JOB SUMMARY: The ITSA for Application Development works within the IT Team under the supervision of the IT Program Manager to provide application development support and assist in maintaining online web applications within a two semester time-frame.
- Assist the IT Program Manager with developing new and maintaining existing ASP.NET and classic ASP based websites written in visual basic and C#.
- Provide future support for the center’s Drupal based website.
- Test all necessary changes to current web applications.
- Assist in developing technical documentation for office staff on their usage of the available technologies (both hardware and software)
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Currently pursuing a bachelor degree in engineering, computer engineering, computer science or related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of MS windows platform. Win 7, MS Office and general networking connectivity.
- Ability to commit no less than 10 hrs per week to work on-site from October 1, 2013 through May 31, 2014. This position is open to current undergraduate junior and senior students only.
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICANTS WITH:
- Advanced knowledge of SQL language, Oracle db and MS SQL db. Advanced knowledge of CSS, HTML, and XML.
- Experience working in a university setting, especially at the University of Maryland.
- Familiarity with START and interest and knowledge in the subject area of social sciences, terrorism studies or homeland security.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to work well with all of START’s customers, including DHS, university professors and departments, research center directors, researchers, students, etc.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, unofficial transcripts, resume and contact information for three references (at least one technical) to Eamon Diab at email@example.com use the subject line “START ITSA Position – Application Development” Be sure to mention the specific skills and experience that make you an ideal candidate. For best consideration, apply by November 15, 2013. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.