This publication, currently available in Spanish, provides a breadth and depth of focuses as a high-level assessment of the Central and South America regions and introduction to key topics as:
- The needed expansion of understanding of the differences and areas of collaboration between the concepts of biosafety and biosecurity,
- Existing international obligations to biosecurity through the BWC and UNSC Resolution 1540,
- How biosecurity applies to and may differ in application across a variety of facility types that engage in biological research or production, whether private or public laboratories, agricultural or university-based facilities,
- Biosecurity risks that include proliferation, bioterrorism, agroterrorism, and biocrime,
- The five pillars and mechanisms of biosecurity,
- Lastly, the application of biosecurity in the Central and South American regions.
Binder, Markus K., Alexandra M. Williams, and Steve S. Sin. 2023. “Biosecurity in the Americas: A Regional Threat Assessment.” Washington, D.C.: UNSCR 1540 Implementation Program of the Inter-American Committee against Terrorism, Organization of American States, July.