General Terms and Conditions of Use for the
Big Allied and Dangerous (BAAD) Version 2 Dataset
Use of the data signifies your agreement to the following terms and conditions.
- Definitions within this section:
- "BAAD2" will refer to the Big Allied and Dangerous Dataset Version 2.0 produced by the Project on Violent Conflict, Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, University at Albany – SUNY under the direction of Victor H. Asal and R. Karl Rethemeyer (co-principal investigators). This includes the data and codebook, any auxiliary materials present, and the World Wide Web interface by which the data are presented.
- "PVC" will refer to the Project on Violent Conflict, Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, University at Albany – SUNY
- "START" will refer to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, a United States Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence based at the University of Maryland.
- "USER" denotes the individual or set of individuals who access the GTD, i.e. the data, codebook, any auxiliary materials, and the World Wide Web interface by which the data are presented.
- "PVC representatives" denotes any senior management staff of PVC, and any employee or representative of said organization whom senior management staff designate to represent PVC in dealings with the USER.
- Usage Rights: Pursuant to this agreement, PVC grants the USER the non-exclusive, non-guaranteed right to search, browse, and view all contents in the BAAD2 World Wide Web interface.
- Authorship: All contents of BAAD2 were assembled by representatives of PVC and START and do not purport to reflect the official position or data collections of the Department of Homeland Security or any other agency of the United States government.
- Acknowledgement: All information sourced from BAAD2 should be acknowledged by the USER and cited as follows: "Asal, Victor H. and R. Karl Rethemeyer. (2015). Big Allied and Dangerous Dataset Version 2. Available for browsing at http://www.start.umd.edu/baad/database”
- Unauthorized Reconstruction of the Data: The USER is not permitted to reconstruct the original dataset upon which the BAAD2 interface is based. User may not download and compile in part or in whole the textual, numeric, organization, or network data found in this web interface without the express written consent of PVC.
- Unauthorized Publication of the Data: No part of BAAD2 may be republished on any website or accessible for public download in any format without the express written consent of PVC. In addition, no part of BAAD2 may be distributed for any commercial purpose, nor with the intent that the data be used in any commercial enterprise, without the express written permission of PVC. PVC reserves the right to withhold this permission.
- Penalties: Penalties for failure to comply with the terms of this agreement may result in loss of access to BAAD2 and the forfeiture of user privileges, in addition to any other appropriate legal remedies.
- Limitation of Liability: Although every reasonable effort has been made to check sources and verify facts, PVC and START cannot guarantee that accounts reported in the open literature are complete and accurate. PVC and START shall not be held liable for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions or resulting from any use, misuse, or alteration of BAAD2 data by the USER. The USER should not infer any additional actions or results beyond what is presented in a BAAD2 entry and specifically, the USER should not infer an individual associated with a particular organization was tried and convicted of terrorism or any other criminal offense. If new documentation about an organization becomes available, an entry may be modified, as necessary and appropriate.
- Multimedia Copyright: Images and other multimedia files contained in BAAD2 are held under copyright to various parties. No multimedia files from BAAD2 may be removed, reproduced, or disseminated without express written permission from the copyright holder, PVC, and START.
- Termination of Rights: The PVC and START and their contracted developers or site hosts reserve the right to remove access from any particular IP address or set of IP addresses, or to remove BAAD2 entirely from public access, at their discretion. In such an event, all USER rights granted in this document are terminated.
All information sourced for BAAD2 should be acknowledged by the USER and cited as follows: Asal, Victor H. and R. Karl Rethemeyer. (2015). Big Allied and Dangerous Dataset Version 2. Available for browsing at http://www.start.umd.edu/baad/database