START is seeking a Special Research Projects IT assistant with at least 3 years of programming experience with MS Access, SQL, and Visual Basic. The IT assistant will assist with the updating and expansion of an ongoing data collection and coding project on Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) events currently structured as a relational database in MS Access. The existing data coding system incorporates multiple levels of quality control by staging the data in linked Access databases one for each coder, a central repository, and approved versions for distribution. The expansion will consist of adding variables, relational tables, coder interfaces, levels of control, and more sophisticated case comparison tools.
- Design complex relational databases in MS Access
- Write and debug sophisticated queries in SQL linking multiple tables and databases
- Strong familiarity with SQL and VB
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including addressing questions and concerns from non-technical users
- Experience working in a university setting, especially at the University of Maryland.
- Familiarity with START and interest and knowledge in the subject area of social sciences, terrorism studies or homeland security.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to work well with START staff and customers, including DHS, university professors and departments, research center directors, researchers, students, etc.
Additional, But Not Required
- Working knowledge of Windows Server and IIS6.
- Working knowledge of Oracle db and MS SQL db.
- Working knowledge of CSS, HTML, and XML.
Minimum Qualifications: Currently pursuing or a recent recipient of a bachelor or a graduate degree in computer science or related field
Duration: Through August 2011, extensions possible
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To apply for this position, please submit cover letter, unofficial transcripts, resume and contact information for three references to Dr. John Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled, but for best consideration submit application by June 24.