Marcus is the graduate studies director and head of geospatial analysis at START where he oversees research relating to terrorism, illicit finance, and GIScience. He has advanced methodological training in spatial statistics, demography, sociology, and geographic information systems. His primary research interests are economic geography and regional science, spatial inequality, and illicit spaces. His research has been funded by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, the National Science Foundation, the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, and others. Prior to coming to START, he served in a variety of roles supporting various agencies of the U.S. Government. Marcus completed his PhD in Earth Systems and Geoinformation Sciences at George Mason University. His dissertation research focused on the interplay between terrorist attacks, illicit finance, and illicit spaces.
Graduate Certificate in Terrorism Analysis – This online graduate program provides participants with advanced education on the causes, dynamics and impacts of international and domestic terrorism.
Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Security and Terrorism Studies – This online graduate program prepares students to examine the complex social, political, economic, and psychological underpinnings of terrorist and other asymmetric security threats.
- George Mason University, Ph.D., Earth Systems and Geoinformation Science, 2017
- The George Washington University, M.A., Philosophy and Social Policy, 2010
- Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A., History, 2006
- Alpha Kappa Delta, The International Sociology Honor Society
- Member, American Sociological Association
- Member, American Association of Geographers
- Member, Eastern Sociological Society
- Member, District of Columbia Sociological Society
- Graduate Studies Director, 2018-Present
- Senior Researcher, START, 2014-Present
- Instructor, Criminology and Criminal Justice, UMDCP - Shady Grove, 2017-Present
- Adjunct Professor of Sociology, Montgomery College, 2016-Present
- Geospatial Analyst, Schafer Corp., 2012-2012
- Regional Analyst, SAIC, 2010-2012
- All-Source Analyst, BAE Systems, 2008-2010
- Map Librarian, BAE Systems, 2007-2008